Monday, September 12, 2011

New Music Tuesday - 09/13/2011 (Part 3)

See Parts 1 and 2

Neon Indian - Era Extraña

Neon Indian is part of the so-called "chillwave" trend. The genre is characterized by electronic, but ethereal sounds over the background of a more defined beat and Neon Indian is definitely a great example of the sound. I had listened a bit to their debut Psychic Chasms after the band worked some with the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne. I found the first single from this new release, though, much more interesting and it drew me in a lot more than their debut album itself had done.
"Fallout"

PJ Harvey - iTunes Session EP

PJ Harvey released her album, Let England Shake, earlier this year, and won the Mercury Award for it just last week. She's one of those artists that have been around seemingly forever, but hasn't lost her ability to draw in audiences. Her Live iTunes EP features four songs from her award-winning album, as well as tracks from past releases.
"Let England Shake"

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

This is a very close second for my most anticipated album of the week. I only recently became mildly obsessed with St. Vincent. I had listened to her some, but bought an amazing concert poster online from one of her shows and felt like I should probably be listening to her more. I discovered just how truly amazing her debut album, Marry Me, was and knew that she was going to be an exciting listen. Her past albums have relied more on computer-generated  backing sounds, this one is more guitar-driven. For that, I have dubbed her, the new guitar goddess.
"Northern Lights

Toro Y Moi - Freaking Out EP

Like one artist with new music out today, Toro Y Moi (real name: Chaz Bundick) is also commonly thrown into the "chillwave" group, though his sounds has a more funk aesthetic to it compared to artists he's commonly grouped with. Like another artist, he released a critically acclaimed album already this year, Underneath the Pine. The EP is a short taste of some new material. The sound hasn't changed much in the few months that have passed, but the sound is still great.
"All Alone"

WILD FLAG - WILD FLAG

Female indie rock supergroup. Seriously, the perfect trifecta for great music (though an very rare one). WILD FLAG combines members of Sleater-Kinney and Helium, bands that really got their starts in the early '90s. I have little experience with their earlier bands, but knew I liked what I heard when I heard this one. So much so, I know I'm going to reach into their back catalogs. This is a good place to start, though.
"Romance"

No comments:

Post a Comment