Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New Music Tuesday - 09/20/2011

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Hysterical

Although I only started listening to them just this past year, I already know their rise and fall story well. The band burst onto the scene with the catchy and infectious self-titled debut. They rushed out a follow-up that was considered a disappointment. More time has passed between the ill-fated second album and this release than between the debut and second. I think it shows, it's a good listen, though nothing earth-shattering. Something that I can't determine to be good or bad...the vocalist sounds a bit like Thom Yorke.
"Maniac" (live)

Jens Lekman - An Argument With Myself EP

Excessive attention to detail while writing music in a foreign tongue is somewhat rare among Nordic artists. It seems many of them prefer to go towards the vague and symbolic (think Tallest Man on Earth). Jens Lekman is a different, type, though. His lyrics describe details down to the least important minutiae. I like his style because, although he crams a lot of words into short spaces, he does it in a way that doesn't sound too busy. Sadly, as an EP, it's only a little taste.
"An Argument With Myself"

Kasabian - Velociraptor

This may be one of the last bastion of British indie rock bands to garner attention after the success of The Strokes to still maintain a fairly strong post-punk sound. They were never among my absolute favorites, but good if you're feeling a little nostalgic for the darker part of the mid-80s.
"Switchblade Smile"

Tori Amos - Night of Hunters

Complete honesty, most of my appreciation for Tori Amos comes from the video for "A Sort of Fairytale," which featured Adrian Brody at the time I had a strange crush on him (I know, I know). She, of course, has had a much broader career than that song. I will take this as an opportunity to get to know her music!
"Shattering Sea"

Wavves - Life Sux EP

This release features one of the more interesting (read: awesome) shout outs ever in a song, "I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl." It's just the type of thing you'd expect a band like Wavves to say, kinda silly. I love that about the band, they don't really care about anything.
"I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl"

No comments:

Post a Comment